Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What I want to be when I grow up...

I thought it was high time for another top five. I was thinking I was going to do one about fall, because I seriously love it, but I've been thinking about this topic a bit lately. There were so many things I wanted to be when I grew up. When I grew up (got to college) I couldn't get serious about any of them. It frustrates me a little that I didn't have the ambition to become any of the things on my list. It's never too late though, right?

I also got a kick out of thinking about each different thing I wanted to be. I went through so many phases where I was determined that I was going to be one thing or another and it's fun to think about those times. Being a mother was never something I wanted to be when I grew up. I always just figured I would, but I didn't think about it that much. I am always envious of women who knew and know that's what they always wanted to be. I am so grateful now that I am a mother; I think it's working out pretty well!

Top five things I wanted to be when I grew up (in no particular order):
1. Paleontologist, who didn't go through a dinosaur phase?
2. Archaeologist, I got so obsessed with ancient Egypt.
3. Professional dancer, unfortunately I don't have enough skill, but it was always a desire to make a career from what I love doing.
4. Doctor, I didn't ever know what kind, but I wanted to all the same.
5. Research biologist, I wanted to discover the cure for cancer or AIDS.

It's really not too late for some of those professions, I'll be a mom first though. I hope I don't ever lose sight of things that used to interest me. One day I'll be able to give these passions more time...

What did/do you want to be?

3 comments:

Nancy Sabina said...

When I was in high school I thought that I wanted to be an Accountant. Then I took an Accounting class. And failed. I mean, I actually FAILED. I got an F. And it was probably an F-. I don't know what on earth possessed me to want to be an Accounant when I loath numbers. I guess I didn't really plan that all the way through. Good thing "Mother" was second on my list! Because that I think I'm pretty good at.

Brittany said...

I too of course had the dream of being a professional dancer. I realized at a young age though that my skill was greatly lacking so I just enjoyed dancing in high school. First on my list though was always mother. So you may ask where being a nurse fell? I don't really know, my freshmen year of college I think I just decided that I should become a nurse. I am happy with the way things worked out, but I'm with you, it's never too late to become whatever you want.

Kelly Jo said...

I wanted to be a teacher for the longest time and even started out going to school for that. Then of course I wanted to be a therapist and well, that has come to fruition. I always wanted to be a mother too but now that desire isn't there so much, when it's the right time I'm sure it will be there.
But I too think it's good to never lose sight of your dreams and even in the Relief Society broadcast President Monson talked about getting all the education you can get. Once a mother, always a mother, but some seasons in life offer you the opportunity to develop other skills as well. You CAN have it all, just not all at the same time!