Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Christmas Past

I always have extreme inner turmoil when it comes to Christmas shopping. I always end up spending money on a lot of little things that frankly are crappy. I'm trying to spend money instead on a few really good things. This year I have been thinking a lot about what my parents did for us for Christmas. I have also been lamenting the fact that there doesn't seem to be the "it" gift for a 5 year old. When I was growing up, it seemed like there was always something that you HAD to have. I realized as the girls get older they will want their iPods and other gadgets, but until then, I'm stumped. OK enough rambling, here's what I'm getting at, I wanted to share some of the best gifts my parents got us.
1. The first IT gift I remember getting was a Cabbage Patch Doll. My sister Katie and I asked Santa for one and I didn't think there was any way in Hades we would get one. We woke up on Christmas morning and there was one for each of us. Mine had brown hair like me. I loved it. My mom would periodically make new clothes for the dolls. I think she still has them.

2. Katie really, really wanted a Nintendo when they first came out. Again we asked Santa for one and didn't think he'd deliver. Lo and behold he most certainly did. We were so excited and it was definitely a favorite over the years. We never had that many games, but believe me, I'm a pro at Super Mario Brothers 3.

3. Katie was always older and cooler than I was. She had a pair of Girbaud jeans that I coveted. I would steal them out of her closet after she had left for Junior High. I was only in 5th grade then, so I had a window of time when she wasn't home. The trouble was certainly getting back in the house without her seeing me after school. Anyway, I really, really wanted my own pair. I asked for them in sixth grade and again was so surprised to get a pair. That was the only thing I got for Christmas that year and I couldn't have been more pleased. I loved them. They were a dark wash, so I couldn't easily wear them everyday like I wanted, the color was too noticeable. I had this awesome goldenrod sweater that looked so good with them! I was one stylin' 6th grader!!!

There were a couple of other presents that have grown in status since we received them. One year we got these crazy dolls that were about 3 feet high. They had soft bodies and huge hard heads. Katie and I fought, a lot. She always would whack me with that stupid doll head. It hurt a lot. We often laugh about those crazy dolls.

Every year I want my girls to have as memorable an experience as I had. I don't think we can do that every year, but I do want to teach them to be grateful for what they have and not to lose sight of what Christmas really is. I'll let you know how this year turns out. I've put more thought than usual into it, hopefully we don't go down in flames.

What are some of your more memorable Christmases?

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Definitely when I got my black baby doll, Chels you know what I'm talkin about.

Nancy Sabina said...

I remember the Cabbage Patch doll I got - she had red hair and blue glasses, just like me.

I've tried really hard this year with my kids too. I made their huge wish lists first, then I tried to think how they would prioritize them, then I tried to get them a good balance of the "immediately fun" and the "fun all year" kind of presents. I'm most excited for this big metal dump truck I got for Asher. And Cinderella's carriage that I got for Naomi. Oh - and I got Isaiah a Bumbo seat. I feel a little guilty about that one since it will help me more than him - but he's 6 months old - come on!
I'm also VERY excited about something that I got for Richard, but obviously I can't tell you what THAT is!

Brynn said...

Super Ninetendo was what we all wanted. I also wanted Girbauds but never got them LUCKY!