Monday, November 30, 2009

The First Thanksgiving

No, no, I'm not talking about the first Thanksgiving ever recorded in history, which there's much debate about anyway, I'm talking about the first Thanksgiving that I've ever hosted. I was so nervous. I've never cooked a turkey before and I've never been in charge of cooking for lots of people before either. Richard and Nancy and kids and Nancy's sister Ruth came from Virginia and Bryan and Anna and kids came from Ohio for the big day. We had 16 people here for dinner. Luckily the turkey turned out great for my first attempt and everything else was pretty good too. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have, but here are a few.

There was much pie making going on. Here's Nancy and Ruth making their family favorite, pumpkin chiffon.




Here's Richard and Roger making berry and cherry pies. Richard was helping, he was looking at recipes, promise. (Sorry to catch you at the computer Rich.) I am happy to loan out their services for a small fee...





This was a pretty standard match up over the weekend. Ashby and Asher catching a few shows during previously mentioned pie making.





And this pair, oh dear this pair, they were inseparable. I think I heard Naomi say she was ready to move in and Avery was accepting with open arms!



Of course I can't forget Luke. He participated by getting under our feet all day and pulling out all the clean dishes from the cabinets. But oh my look at that hair!



On a completely unrelated note, here are the girls today with their Christmas Countdown chains. I can hardly believe it's November 30th and they are ready to go already. Usually I forget about it and remember it sometime around December 5th. And here's another reason to pat myself on the back, see Avery's skirt? I made that out of one of Roger's old shirts. I'm as pleased as punch about it. Unfortunately Avery wants nothing to do with it and only wore it today because nothing else was clean! I really am sounding like a self centered bore aren't I?


I do just want to include how grateful I am for all my many many blessings. I'm so grateful for family and friends who are near and far. I'm grateful for my sweet kids, I'm not sure what I would be without them. I'm so incredibly grateful for Roger. He is my everything and I know without him I'd be nothing. I'm grateful for the lessons we are learning as we live so far from where I grew up. It really sucks sometimes, but most the time it's really great. We have accomplished a lot but I know we had nothing to do with it. Heavenly Father truly knows us and knows our needs. I'm so grateful.

8 comments:

Brynn said...

love all of the pictures! Your kids are getting so big and are so dang cute! glad you guys had a good Turkey day!

Nancy Sabina said...

It really was great. And all the food was a total success! Thanks for the great pics. Maybe I'll just send people from my blog over to your blog to save myself time!

Nancy Sabina said...

Oh, and that skirt is just plain adorable. I can't believe she doesn't love it. Silly girl.

Jill said...

Good for you to host Thanksgiving! Always scary and a lot of pressure for a good meal. Glad it went well. Looks like you had lots of help with the pies :) Avery's skirt is so cute. You are a little Martha!! Love those Worths.

Kari said...

What...a skirt out of an old shirt, who would've thought!! I have lots of old shirts and lots of girls to wear skirts, the only problem, no one to take those shirts and make skirts!! You need to move closer Martha, I mean Chels!!

Brittany said...

I'm so glad it all turned out so well! I knew it would. I love how on top of it you are for the chains! I just realized today that I haven't bought my kids those nasty chocolate advent calendars yet, I guess maybe tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ymopozeb.bigheadhosting.net/wiwegiry.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Jolie said...

I think our "first thankgiving" we had Roger over. I still remember having him and how great we felt to have somebody come to our house! Looks like fun was had by all at your home. Everyone looks so great...little Luke is not so little anymore! He'll be a little boy before I even get to meet him!